Built in 1772, the Heyward-Washington House was the town home of Thomas Heyward, Jr., one of four South Carolina signers of the Declaration of Independence. But Heyward and his family were not the only occupants of the property. According to the 1790 census, 12 enslaved people lived and worked on the property, occupying the second floor of the kitchen building. Join Curator of Historical Archaeology Martha Zierden and Chief of Education Stephanie Thomas for a discussion of the kitchen building and its importance in understanding life at the Heyward-Washington House. Martha will discuss what archaeology has told us about the kitchen and its residents, using artifacts recovered from the site. Stephanie will describe how this information has been applied to a recent reinterpretation of the house and those who lived there.
Included with regular admission to the Heyward-Washington House.