Have you ever spent the holidays with sand beneath your toes, pumpkin bread pudding on your plate, or enjoying holiday classics in the form of Gospel spirituals? There’s simply no place like Charleston for the holidays! Scroll on to discover 12 reasons why we love spending Christmas in Charleston, then share your favorite holiday tradition in the comments below.
1. Black Friday is referred to as “Black Tie Optional Friday” on King Street, where the day is more classy than crazy and specials are truly special.
2. Charleston’s historic homes deck the halls with historically accurate seasonal décor dating back to the 1800s.
3. Charleston’s award-winning restaurants put a seasonal twist on classic Charleston cuisine. Pumpkin bread pudding, please!
4. Sandmen and sandy toes trump snowmen and a frostbitten nose.
5. Attending a Christmas show at America’s first theatre is a favored holiday tradition.
6. Piazzas are adorned in beautiful seasonal décor.
7. Two million lights shimmer brightly during the Annual Holiday Festival of Lights, a three-mile driving tour accompanied by marshmallow roasting, festival train rides, an old-fashioned carousel and more.
8. Mild temps allow for enjoyable holiday walking tours downtown, during which you’ll spot tastefully decorated Antebellum mansions and wrought-iron gates.
9. A fully operational replica of the famous Venice Simplon-Orient-Express luxury train comes to life every year for a grand holiday display at Belmond Charleston Place Hotel.
10. From Gospel spirituals to jazz and light classics, the holiday edition of the Sound of Charleston, the music that helps define Charleston’s rich heritage, is our soundtrack to the season.
11. An ode to the destination’s ideal coastal locale, a parade of festive boats sails through Charleston Harbor every year.
12. Decorated hotel lobbies, hot toddies and cozy fires await when you check into Charleston for the holidays.
Make this holiday season memorable and spend Christmas in Charleston.