Frequently Asked QuestionsFor all of you who have ever wanted to know about becoming a Travel Council member...and more...read on!
What is Travel Council?
Travel Council is the private sector marketing fund for the Charleston Area CVB's promotional programs and is comprised of businesses that benefit from the local tourism industry, both directly and indirectly. The mission of Travel Council is to raise promotional dollars to match public sector funding, ensuring that the local hospitality industry continues to thrive. It's all about marketing the Charleston area!
Why invest in Travel Council?
- Complimentary 175 character count description with hyperlink to your own website on ExploreCharleston.com.
- Access to the confidential CVB Sales Department's weekly Meetings, Convention, Motorcoach, Reunion and Wedding group business leads.
- Daily direct referral service provided by our CVB's in-house Inquiry Service (VIS) operators through our published 800-telephone number.
- Opportunity to sell tickets at our four locally operated Visitor Centers.
- Complimentary monthly brochure display service to all four locally operated Charleston Area Visitor Centers (You will be notified when your brochures are running low. All you have to do is get them to our main office at 423 King Street!)
- Monthly networking opportunities with local tourism industry leaders at Travel Council meetings/trainings, which take place on the second Tuesday of each month at 4:00 p.m.
- Exclusive access to direct target marketing services provided through the CVB's Marketing Department, such as the Brochure Mailing Service, Visitor Inquiry Service, Lowcountry Reservations, and other co-op advertising opportunities throughout the year
- Opportunity to participate in CVB publications such as the Official Charleston Area Visitors Guide, the Official Charleston Area Wedding Guide, the Destination Planning Guide, and the Official Charleston Area Golf Guide.
When are the monthly Travel Council meetings/trainings?
Travel Council meetings/trainings are typically held on the second Tuesday of each month from 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. at various member locations in the Charleston area. Reminders are sent via post cards and emails regarding date, time, and location.
Why should I attend monthly Travel Council meetings/trainings?
Travel Council meetings are highly informative and are designed to keep members "in the loop" in tracking our destination marketing efforts. These meetings are also a terrific setting to meet and network with your fellow Travel Council Members, as well as key CACVB staff members.
I am interested in hosting a Travel Council meeting/training. What are the host requirements?
- See the host requirement list under the Travel Council Member tab
- Hosts will need to have appropriate meeting space (including chairs) to accommodate 150-200 people, seated, as well as a separate location (if needed) for the reception afterwards.
- Featured speakers will need a podium with a microphone.
- 2 skirted 6-ft. tables for nametags, registration, and head table (for Executive Director & Travel Council Chairman).
- In most cases, we ask that hosts provide light hors d'oeuvres, beer, and wine for the reception. Please remember that this is your opportunity to shine in front of the tourism industry!