Pop into the Big Red Barn and visit Palmetto Carriage Works, the area’s longest running carriage company, to discover the lore and charm of downtown Charleston. You’ll join our four-legged friends for a one hour tour packed full with picturesque sites and tales of the Lowcountry’s past. Scroll on to learn just 6 surprising facts you might learn on a Charleston carriage tour via the Palmetto Carriage Works team, then click here to book your adventure and get ready to explore.
1. Charleston has the oldest historic district in the United States.
2. Charles Towne had the only walled English city in the 18th century.
3. Charleston was home to four signers of both the Declaration of Independence & the Constitution.
4. There were more conflicts fought in South Carolina during the American Revolution than in any other colony.
5. Charleston is home to the first theatre in America and the first Chamber of Commerce, among many more firsts!
6. Not only were the first shots of the Civil War fired in Charleston Harbor, but South Carolina was also the first state to secede from the Union.
Ready to test your Charleston history knowledge? Take our quiz here and let us know how you did!