5 Tips For an Instagram-Worthy Holiday Table, Charleston Style
Heirloom recipes are the touchstones of holiday traditions, and the Lowcountry’s rich culinary history shines when friends and families gather around the table. From nibbling hot-from-the-oven cheese straws at a cocktail party to the custom of eating collard greens on New Year’s Day (said to evoke wealth), food plays a pivotal role in the charm of Christmas in Charleston.
One of our most treasured traditions in the Lowcountry is gathering around the table to celebrate the holiday season with family and friends, which is why we turned to Charleston-based expert event planner Tara Guérard of Tara Guérard Soirée for her top tips on setting the holiday table, Charleston style. Scroll on for décor inspiration!
- Find pillar candles with a seasonal fragrance to set a festive mood. Keep the candles away from the dining room so the scent does not overwhelm the food!
- Little details make a world of difference. Cut sprigs from your tree garland to tie on gifts, napkins and at the base of candlesticks.
- Make your own place cards. Pin a paper name tag to an orange, pear or apple and set on each place setting.
- Celebrate with music. You can’t go wrong with “A Charlie Brown Christmas” soundtrack!
- For an eclectic and layered tabletop, add pottery, porcelain and glassware in the same color palette. White is always a winner.
What is your favorite holiday tradition? Make this season memorable and join us this #ChristmasInCharleston.