CHARLESTON NAMED SECOND BEST CITY IN AMERICA – ACHIEVING ITS HIGHEST RANKING IN 16 YEARS OF TRAVEL + LEISURE WORLD’S BEST AWARDS READERS’ POLLFor Immediate Release, July 2011
Charleston Place Makes List of Top 50 Large City Hotels in the Continental U.S. and Canada;
Planters Inn Ranks Among Top 10 Small City Hotels in Continental U.S. and Canada
Charleston rises to No. 2 on the Travel + Leisure 2011 World’s Best Awards list of Top Cities in the United States and Canada, based on the 16th annual readers’ survey, from its third place ranking last year. Displacing last year’s No. 2-ranked city, San Francisco, Charleston achieves its highest ranking ever in this survey. The top-ranked city in the U.S. and Canada is New York City for the eleventh consecutive year. Four South Carolina hotels and resorts are recognized among the top hotels in the World’s Best Awards readers’ survey this year—two are in Charleston and two are outside of the city.
TOP 10 CITIES IN THE U.S. AND CANADA 2011
1. New York City
2. Charleston, South Carolina
4 San Francisco
5. Santa Fe, New Mexico
6. New Orleans
9. Victoria, British Columbia
10. Quebec City
Four South Carolina properties rank among the top hotels and resorts in the Continental U.S. and Canada.
• Inn at Palmetto Bluff, an Auberge Resort, Bluffton, South Carolina is ranked No. 7 on the list of Top 50 Resorts in the Continental U.S. and Canada and ranks No. 60 on the list of World’s Best Hotels Overall.
• Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, South Carolina ranks No. 17 on list of Top 50 Resorts in the Continental U.S. and Canada and ranks No. 97 on the list of World’s Best Hotels Overall.
• Charleston Place Hotel is the top-rated hotel in Charleston and ranks No. 26 on the list of Top Large City Hotels in the Continental U.S. and Canada.
• Planters Inn, Charleston is ranked No. 10 on the list of Top 10 Small City Hotels in the Continental U.S. and Canada.
Travel + Leisure readers voted on their favorite hotels, cities, islands, spas, cruise lines, airlines, tour outfitters, and car-rental agencies. The 2011 World’s Best Awards readers’ survey results (listed by overall and regional rankings) and survey methodology are featured in the August issue of Travel + Leisure magazine, online at: www.TravelandLeisure.com/worldsbest, and in the World’s Best Awards 2011 iPad edition available via www.TravelandLeisure.com/iPad and on the iTunes App Store beginning July 11.
Visit this link: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/43667971#43667971 to view coverage of the awards on the TODAY Show - July 7, 2011.
Follow the conversation on Twitter with @travlandleisure #worldsbest and @explorecharleston.