Featured Press ReleasesUse this library of press releases written by the Charleston Area CVB media relations department to mine for story ideas, stay abreast of what is new in the destination and learn about the special events that take place throughout the year.
Charleston, S.C., Welcomed into Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards Hall of FameFor Immediate Release, July 2012
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA, WELCOMED INTO
TRAVEL + LEISURE WORLD’S BEST AWARDS HALL OF FAME
Destination Recognized for Ten Consecutive Years on Magazine’s
Annual Readers’ Survey List of Top Ten Cities in the U.S. and Canada
Charleston, South Carolina (July 6, 2012) – Charleston, S.C., is now a member of Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards Hall of Fame, a distinction that recognizes the southern colonial seaport city’s decade-long presence on the magazine’s annual readers’ survey list of Top Ten Cities in the United States and Canada. The 2012 ranking, which appears in the July issue, is part of the World’s Best Awards and places Charleston as the fourth most popular domestic destination.
"The Charleston area offers the rare combination of a sophisticated downtown surrounded by miles of pristine beaches, all of which is steeped in history,” says Frank Fredericks, Managing Director of Wild Dunes Resort and Chair of the Charleston Area Convention & Visitor Bureau Board of Governors. "To be aligned once again with popular major metropolitan cities including New York, Chicago and San Francisco is a real thrill, and Charleston is honored to be recognized by Travel + Leisure 2012 World's Best Awards."
In addition to the No. 4 Top City in U.S. and Canada ranking, five Charleston area hotels received awards, most notably the Wentworth Mansion, the 21-room urban estate that melds 19th century opulence with modern luxury, which earned top nod from readers in the Small City Hotel category.
“We are extremely proud of the staff, our talented hospitality ambassadors who make the Wentworth Mansion experience second to none, and grateful to the readers of Travel + Leisure for this huge honor,” says Linn Lesesne, Director of Marketing with Charming Inns, owner of the Wentworth Mansion. “To be the No. 1 Small City Hotel in the United States is a tremendous honor. To be named No. 12 on the Top 100 Hotels Overall list is simply amazing!”
TRAVEL + LEISURE 2012 WORLD’S BEST AWARDS - CHARLESTON AREA PROPERTIES
• Wentworth Mansion ranks No. 1 on the list of Top 10 Small City Hotels in the Continental U.S., and No. 12 on the list of World’s Best Hotels Overall
• Market Pavilion Hotel ranks No. 4 on the list of Top 10 Small City Hotels in the Continental U.S.
• Planters Inn ranks No. 7 on the list of Top 10 Small City Hotels in the Continental U.S.
• Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort ranks No. 11 on list of Top 50 Resorts in the Continental U.S.
• Charleston Place Hotel ranks No. 33 on the list of Top Large City Hotels in the Continental U.S.
To engage the Charleston area’s more than four million annual visitors, the Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau maintains a variety of specialized, interactive websites.
• Explorecharleston.com offers indepth information tailored to key audiences: visitors and guests, meeting planners, tour professionals and journalists.
• Charlestonfamilyfun.com is a comprehensive trip-planning resource that offers tips on age-appropriate activities at area attractions and makes activity suggestions based on family’s preferred vacation style: adventure, encounter, imagine or unplug. It also serves as the portal to the Charleston Explorers Club, a custom program created by the CVB to help families embark on an interactive journey through the Charleston area.
• Charlestonareabeaches.com is a guide to the area’s five barrier islands’ beach towns, each with its own distinctive character and range of accommodations.
• Charlestonweddingguide.com is a visually beautiful platform that showcases the area’s destination weddings.
• Christmasincharleston.com celebrates the Lowcountry traditions, shopping, special events, cuisine and lodging packages that make the holiday season memorable.
• Charlestonly.com shares the characters, flavors, sights and sounds found only in one place: Charleston, S.C.
“Even after 17 years, the opportunity to see what travel experiences resonate with our readers still intrigues and delights me,” says Travel + Leisure Editor-in-Chief Nancy Novogrod. “While some passions change over time, the allure of the exotic and new remains as strong as ever, as does the attraction to trips that provide distinctive and long-lasting memories.”
TRAVEL + LEISURE 2012 WORLD’S BEST AWARDS TOP 10 CITIES IN THE U.S. AND CANADA
1. New York City
3. San Francisco
4. Charleston, South Carolina
5. New Orleans
6. Santa Fe, New Mexico
8. Savannah, Georgia
9. Quebec City
Travel + Leisure readers voted on their favorite hotels, cities, islands, spas, cruise lines, airlines, tour outfitters, and car-rental agencies. The 2012 World’s Best Awards readers’ survey results (listed by overall and regional rankings) and survey methodology are featured in the August issue of Travel + Leisure magazine, online at: www.TravelandLeisure.com/worldsbest, and in the World’s Best Awards 2012.
The mission of the Charleston Area Convention and Visitors Bureau is to unify and lead the local travel industry in marketing the Charleston area as an individual, meeting, incentive and group destination to both the domestic and international markets. Explorecharleston.com
Follow the conversation on Twitter with @explorechs and @travlandleisure.
# # #
For more information, contact the CVB Media Department at email@example.com or (843) 853-8000.