The Charleston Outdoor Festival is set for April 21 through 23 at James Island County Park! This 27th annual event celebrates the paddlesports and outdoor recreation community. Featuring one of the country’s premier showcases of canoeing, kayaking and stand up paddleboarding (SUP), the three-day Charleston Outdoor Festival also includes a multitude of outdoor recreation activities like mountain biking, slack lining, archery, climbing, and disc golf.
The Charleston Outdoor Festival brings together enthusiasts of all ages and experience levels with world-renowned instructors and sports equipment manufacturers. Attendees can try out equipment, compete in races and other hands-on activities on site, and learn everything from the basics to expert skills in each sport.
Main featured areas and events at James Island County Park’s Charleston Outdoor Festival include:
· The Try It Zone, Saturday and Sunday only – Participants can try their hand at an archery range, a bike obstacle course, a mountain bike short track, the Challenge Zone (activities and brain teasers), disc golf, climbing, and the slackline course. Plus, Try It passholders can demo sea kayaks, SUPs, and canoes, from the park and from Vendor Village. Open select hours Saturday through Sunday.
· East Coast Paddlesports Symposium – the symposium is a three-day immersion in the history, technique, hands-on experience, and fun of kayaking, canoeing, SUP and other paddlesports topics. Participants can sign up for classroom presentations and on-water classes from the world’s top instructors in dozens of topics. Programs range from beginner to expert level skill classes, to sessions on topics like birding by boat, kayak rolling, backcountry cooking, fishing, photography and much more.
· Palmetto Pump Climbing Competition (Sat.) - Compete or just watch amazing climbing action at the Wall’s annual Palmetto Pump Climbing Competition. Some of the Southeast’s best will compete from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
· Island Toss Disc Golf Competition (Sat.) - Disc golfers of all levels are invited to test their skills.
· Vendor Village - Leading manufacturers and outfitters exhibit a wide variety of products in the Vendor Village. Here, you can try out boats and equipment, talk with vendors, and get a chance to try before buying.
Anyone who enjoys being active in the outdoors will find something exciting at the Charleston Outdoor Festival, from Friday, April 21 through Sunday, April 23 at James Island County Park. Register for the weekend package starting Jan. 1, which will include classes, demos, competitions and much more. For more information or to register, visit CharlestonCountyParks.com or call 843-795-4386.